Today Sony released both US and EU versions of an “Ultimate FAQ” for the Playstation 4. The FAQs cover mostly hardware issues such as media playback, game installation and other console features. Following is a couple of high level points that we picked out.
- Background downloads of game updates don’t require a PS+ subscription.
- Firmware update discs can be ordered directly from Sony.
- Playstation Plus save storage capacity is limited to 1GB.
- The ability to help a friend out in a game remotely is a delayed feature.
- There is no media server client functionality.
- There is no MP3 support leaving Music Unlimited as the only potential source of background music.
- Trophies still don’t sync instantly.
- Voice commands do not require the PS4 eye camera.
- Voice message are limited to 15 seconds maximum.
For us the lack of media server client functionality and the inability to play MP3s are the biggest issues by far. Why Sony would include them in the Playstation 3 and then drop them from the Playstation 4, in the year 2013, is beyond us. Perhaps such functions will be introduced in a future update.